Developers can now download the new Microsoft Visual Studio 2019 after a special day long launch event on April 2. Microsoft released VS 2019 for both Windows & Mac.
Microsoft says VS 2019 allows faster access to begin coding by, "making it simpler to clone a Git repo or to open an existing project or folder" and making template selection screen improvements.
Microsoft Corporate Vice President for Visual Studio, John Montgomery, highlighted other new features including:
- Improved code navigation and additional refactorings
- Document health indicator
- One-click code clean-up to apply multiple refactoring rules
- Improved debugging: data breakpoints for .NET Core apps that break only on value changes you’re looking for.
- AI-assisted code completion with Visual Studio IntelliCode.
VS 2019 for Mac
Visual Studio for Mac also received a significant update but not all the new features have been finalised.
VS 2019 for Mac includes an entirely new C+ editor but remains an opt-in only option for now. You can find out the details here.
Other new features include a new start window, ability to run multiple instances and more. See the Microsoft blog on the Mac release here.